The first university in Libya was established by a royal decree in 1955 under the name of “University of Libya”. It began with the Colleges of Arts and Education in Benghazi. In 1957, the Faculty of Science was established in Tripoli. This formed the inception of the University of Tripoli. Then, the Faculty of Agriculture was birthed in 1966. However, before that the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) created the Higher Technical Studies Faculty.
In 1973, the University of Libya split into University of Benghazi and University of Tripoli. In 1976, its name was changed to Al-Fateh University. In 2009, the Medical colleges were separated to become “Al-Fateh University for Medical Sciences”. This lasted one year as in 2010 the medical colleges were coupled together back to University of Al-Fateh. In 2012 the university regained its original name as the University of Tripoli.